I haven’t ridden the A10 BSA in a few years…I got fed up with the difficult “warm start” situation so just let it sulk in the corner instead. Now I’m paying the price, as the tank is filled with stale gas and the carb was completely gummed up. As a consequence, I have the tank off to drain the crud and have the carb off to give it a clean. I will probably do a few other maintenance items, like an oil change and brake adjustment, while I’m at it.
Above you can see the lovely stale gas draining from the one petcock I was able to open (I may need a new set of these, though I’m not sure the “pull on” type can be had any longer, they could not when I built the bike in the previous century). Sadly, it looks like the lining in the tank has failed again, which is a bummer. I don’t know if I’m going to reline it, this is the second time a lining compound has failed. Maybe they are only supposed to last for a few years? Grumble grumble.
The carb looks generally OK, on inspection of its innards. Gummed up but unworn, as you’d hope with a massive 1,000 or so miles on it. Aside from some new fibre washers, it can all go back together once the bits are clean. Speaking of which…
…I plunked them into the ultrasonic cleaner using a bath of my new specialized cleaning fluid. Frankly, I’m unimpressed, this is the third batch of stuff I’ve put through it–all using different cleaning fluids–and I’d say not much cleaning happened, certainly not the miracles you’re told to expect from this process. I suspect it might be me, but who knows.
As you can maybe see, not a lot of difference post-cleaning. Ah, well. I’ll tackle them with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush and see if that makes a difference.
In closing, here’s the shop…I need to clean up a bit as there will be a “guest car” in the shop for an engine swap and other misc. work sometime very soon. More on that when it shows up!