If I can help it, I will never out-source any car repair or restoration work ever again. Apparently, in this new Nazi age, caring about the work you do is a thing of the past, and we should all be grifters. A fine example of this is the work done on my front fender.
I was so disheartened it’s taken me months to get back to the car, having to buy a welder and learn a bit about that…even with a week’s experience, I can do a better job that I paid some of my hard-to-come-by-these-days money for.
Above is what I got back. What you can’t see is the gobs of seam sealer I removed to expose this mess.
Using a grinder, some snips and a cut-off wheel, I removed the lapped metal and broke all the welds, except for a bit at the bottom of the wing–which at least was butt-welded.
My plan is to get the front half of the wing positioned on the car correctly, get the rear half parallel to the ground after that, bolt the flange to the rear wing and then cut a patch panel to fill in the gap under the door. (I’ll weld the patch and the join on the car, as it’s just as awkward to do them on the bench.)
But before welding I have to get the front to fit correctly. The lower edge in the middle of the car is about 1/4″ lower than the left-hand wing. The outside edge is close to the right height. The top of the right headlight is about 1/8″ lower than the left headlight. For all I know, it may have left the factory this way, but I think there is some room for improvement with judiciously-placed packing washers.
In any case, I’m back on the car, though my motivation for just about everything is at an all-time low. The Morgan does look better with even the partial fender back on, though. Be nice to see it with the metalwork complete. And then on to endless filler dust!