Better now. I have some rust and other stains on the otherwise nice condition top and side-curtains, so need to tackle that at some point…
Category: 1955 Morgan +4 (Page 2 of 9)
I’ve fitted the side curtain frames to the doors, after much fooling around. They have yet to be painted, as you can see, and they also need to be mangled to the proper shape top to bottom. Here they don’t look too bad!
Here’s the panel on the car. There should be a piece of rubber beading above it, which is contiguous from both rear fenders. When I do the final beading, I’ll add it. The panel should also be flush with the edge of the rear center panel, but I didn’t care for the look, so recessed it a bit.
As you might have come to expect as a faithful reader of this blog, I had to try again after messing up my first attempt at the license plate panel. What you see above is the sorta-finished second item.
I got the panel for below the rear bumper cut out and the wire bead bent to shape. 3/16″ steel doesn’t really want to bend that easily and I’m guessing symmetry isn’t going to be this panel’s strong suit…
Sorry for the lack of activity here at Rusty Heaps, but it’s been One of Those Years. In any case, I did finally get the second door skinned, so I’m running out of excuses for not tackling the front fender on the passenger side. Aside from a lack of funds, anyway.
I have one door done! I am excite, as the kids say, mainly because it’s another thing actually done. Note if you’re really going to do door skins, go read Ron Garner’s Mad About Morgans posts on the subject–he has genuine wisdom to pass along, unlike yrs trly. I’d guess the metal part of the door took about 20 hours of my time; it will be interesting to see if the other door goes quicker. I doubt it.
I have the fender on the driver’s side for a test fit and filling. It needs some adjustment at the very tail end, and it came pre-dinged and whatnot. I had hoped to sand it off the car, but will maybe set up a fan and try to blow the dust outside. We’ll see if that works.
The tub is skinned–doors are next, and then fitting the rear fenders. I’ve put a couple of coats of primer on the work so far to see where I’m at. It’s also time for a “jeebus there is a lot of dust” cleanup of the car and shop.
But we knew that. I have put on and sanded back off a gallon of filler on my new steel panels–I (finally!) was able to get some primer on one tonight. The filler isn’t too thick, but that beaded spare opening really pays havoc with keeping the panel flat.